And SIGN OUR mission statement
Our working language is English, but concerns can be expressed in any of the working languages of Belgian research, education and knowledge institutions.
The coordinating committee of our network is composed of staff from a diversity of Belgian knowledge institutions.
We value efficiency but are not willing to sacrifice democracy. As such, participation and inclusion, are fundamental, which means we aim to make decisions, via consensus, that all members (whether precarious, public or strategic) support.
Stay up to date
and sign-up for our newsletter
Signing the mission statement grants you access to the forum and internal discussions. To properly function as a network we have established 9 ground rules:
- BIND has a mission statement that clarifies why it has formed and what it aims to achieve.
- BIND has 4 core methods to achieve its mission:
- Bringing people together from all Belgian higher educational institutions to create impact on a systemic level. For example, in the past academic year, we held network meetings with scholars from NL, and FR institutions.
- Amplifying existing initiatives (bottom-up and top down) and connecting them (if desired by the initiative takers). An example of this was out work to support the open letter to Rector of UGent.
- Organizing events or activities to inform others about the systemic problems in our higher educational institutions and be and show the change that is needed present in bottom-up and top-down initiatives. For example, we will be organizing such an event of November 26/11
- Helping targets of institutional violence to find kindred spirits and specialized support.
- All staff and academics at a Belgian institution for higher education can become members of BIND by signing this mission statement and committing to helping BIND realise its mission. The other condition is to adhere to these ground rules.
- Being a member means you have access to the members forum and have access to all documents produced by BIND.
- If a member clearly violates the mission statement or the ground rules they will no longer be a member. They will be informed about this.
- BIND is a network organisation that strives for more inclusive, divers and just learning institutions all over Belgium. We expect all of our members to commit both in theory and most importantly in practice to the principles elucidated in the mission statement.
- BIND depends on the collective responsibility of all its members therefore all strategic decisions about BIND are a collective responsibility.
- BIND has an organizing cell, made up of members of each linguistic community and as diverse as possible that have a mandate for 1,5 year to take up organizing tasks.
- Decisions are made based on consensus or any other manner that has been decided collectively by the network members.